[lit-ideas] Re: Tune and Turn Off - Panic Attacks

  • From: Robert Paul <robert.paul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 04 May 2006 12:11:37 -0700

On a related point: Adolf Grunbaum has argued, I believe, that Freud's
theories can be formulated in a testable form.

Yes. He argued that Freudian theory could be dressed up (or stripped down) in such a way that it was empirically testable and that when it was tested it turned out to be false. He left open, I think, the possibility that it could be reformulated so that it turned out to be true. I'm a bit hazy about the last part, its having been some twenty-two years since I read Grunbaum on Freud.

Robert Paul
Reed College