[lit-ideas] Thre Reasons Not to Bomb Iran -- Yet

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 6 May 2006 08:57:59 -0700

http://www.commentarymagazine.com/article.asp?aid=12105023_1

This article is from a journal I subscribe to, by Edward N. Luttwak.   He
writes as though he knows what is going on in Iran.  I checked him on Google
and he is considered an expert on such matters by Janes and others.

The other day I posted the composition of Iran, obtained from a CIA facts
page.  Luttwak indicates which groups are most disgruntled. I suspected it
might be the Azeri but he lists the Kurds first.

He scoffs at the idea that we couldn't knock out their nuclear facilities.
For any pilot needing instructions, he lists the longitude and latitude of
one of the most significant sites - to illustrate how much is known.  He
also goes into considerable detail about how far along Iran is in the
construction of their weapons - not very, at least 3 years away.  Why are
they taking so long?  They had some talented engineers and scientists, but
most of them fled after the Khomeini takeover.  They are over here, many of
them,  in the Iranian Diaspora.

He describes Ahmadinejad as being a Shiite extremist, one who thinks he can
hasten the arrival of the Twelfth Imam by putting Iran into so much trouble,
the Mahdi must hasten back to save it.  Luttwak says that Ahmadinejad and
his Mullah superiors want us to bomb Iran.  Only that will have a chance at
saving the Mullah's regime from destruction.

Luttwak writes, "There is . . . no indication that the regime will fall
before it acquires nuclear weapons.   Yet, because there is still time, it
is not irresponsible to hope it will."

Lawrence