[lit-ideas] Re: The SCUD in a Box Scenario

  • From: "Andreas Ramos" <andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 23:42:36 -0800

I don't understand your comment. Local politics? Do you mean U.S. politics? Are you saying U.S. Politics do not matter? I'm assuming you have some evidence for your assertions, and I'd like to see the evidence.

Ever heard of the WTO?

When Bush pounded on his pulpit and said he would never let no stinking European decide US policy, well, he was just talking to the little people. Because he knows perfectly well that the USA signed the WTO, he supports the WTO, the GOP strongly supports the WTO, and his donors are very strongly (that's Very Strongly) in favor of the WTO.

Check out the WTO. Read those tedious little clauses. Congress can pass all the laws it likes, but if a Made-in-America All-American law gets in the way of a company in Malaysia or (Goddess forbid!) France, that foreign company simply files with the WTO court. Bingo, the American law is cancelled, deleted, made inoperative, gone, nullified.

The law-making power of the US Congress is under the WTO. The US gave up its sovereignty to the WTO.

That, of course, will come as a surprise to many Americans. Especially after all the assurances of Mr. Bush. But it's true. And it works. Bush tried to secure votes in Ohio by passing a special tariff on steel (increase the tax on imported steel, thus making US steel cheaper, thus securing jobs for Americans). But the WTO overrode his tariff. Cancelled, deleted, etc, so forth, and so on.

All those NeoCon books never told you this, did they? All those books that talk stirringly about the upcoming Clash of Nations; they don't quite mention this, do they?

Look, globalization is way bigger than any country, even the USA or even China. It's the whole planet. Why, even the Chinese (that's the ChiComs, Eric) want to join the WTO and cancel their own sovereignty. What use is a red flag? They know where the butter is on the bread; get in the WTO and you're part of the global economy. Big Bucks. Any rinky-dink dictator tries to block your products from making a fair and honest profit, well, the WTO's judges will take care of that.

But there's much more to this than the WTO. Globalization as an economic infrastructure means that economic interests are globalized, i.e., not local. An investor in Bombay has his lousy $600 million in an investment fund in Berlin, which puts part of it into a company in Silicon Valley, which partners with a company in Beijing to work on a project in London. The team meets on a conference call every Monday at 9p California time / 10:30a Bangalore time. Now, Lawrence, think about this: what is their group identity? Are they citizens of their respective states and cities? The fellow from Malaysia who lives in Bombay? Is he a Bombayian? The Chilean who lives in Berlin? Is she a jelly donut? Are they "local citizens of their local cities"?

Or are they part of a group that is working together on a project, and they all know each other by first names, and none of them are speaking their first language?

Oh, yes, those who are underemployed, unemployed, and so on, yes, they indeed often see themselves as a citizen of Alabama or Detroit and so on, because their local identity is defined by economics, and for them, their economics is local economics. They work in a donut shop on 3rd Street, they hang out in a 7-11 on MLK Drive.

Global identities exist for precisely the same reason that local identities exist: it's economics. If the economics is local, then they have local identities and local politics. And if the economics are globalized, then... local politics don't exist anymore. That's right: US politics don't matter anymore.

That's why, even tho' Bush is a dumb squirrel, it doesn't really matter. Most of us continue to live our lives and work, because our economics isn't based on his games. We get our polo shirts from China and our iPods from Malaysia and our checks from an accounting house in Indonesia. The WTO protects us (all of us, Indians, Malaysians, Chinese, Americans, etc.) from any particular local state's mismanagement.

Put down those thrillers about SCUDs-in-a-Box and consider the implications on yourself of a globalized network society. Totallly changes the picture, doesn't it? No more Leftist pinkos out to get you. All of those things you warn us about... they just kinda don't matter anymore, do they, because they don't have an economic basis.

yrs,
andreas
www.andreas.com