[lit-ideas] Re: The SCUD in a Box Scenario

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 09:54:50 -0800

Andreas,

I don't understand your comment.  Local politics?  Do you mean U.S.
politics?  Are you saying U.S. Politics do not matter?  You should read
Special Providence, American Foreign Policy and How it Changed the World by
Walter Russell Mead, 2002.  You should subscribe to Foreign Affairs where
Mead is a frequent contributor.  At the present time, American Politics are
extremely important.

None of the Major theorists about International Affairs that I've read
recently would think you comment very sensible.  Fukuyama would say
America's individual concerns might one day be of no more significance than
anyone else's, i.e., in a Democratic Liberal-Democratic end of history, but
we aren't there yet and for the time being no nation's politics are as
important as the America's. Thomas Barnett would agree with him.  Huntington
would say that at present no nation's politics are as important as the
America's, but he thinks China will eventually replace the U.S. in that
position.

I'm assuming you have some evidence for your assertions, and I'd like to see
the evidence.  I'd be happy to consider some additional views of the future.
Fukuyama seems to have tweeked his view of the end of history in his latest
book, America at the Crossroads: Democracy, Power and the Neoconservative
Legacy.  It isn't out yet, but I've pre-ordered it from Amazon.com.

Lawrence