[lit-ideas] Re: The King's Mother's Axe

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 09:30:19 -0500

I would subscribe did I not already speak English as how Shakespeare himself
did speak it.  Indeed, how many times have I not said: "Quoit him down,
Bardolph, like a shove-groat shilling." -- not said it because I've not wanted
to seem pretentious.  We Southerners are a humble lot.  Lot of what? y'all
scoff.  Of course there're many different Southern accents.  I myself speak the
Mississippi Delta version.  This area of the South was settled by English
speakers moving west from Virginia, Georgia, and the Carolinas.  Wiki has a
good discussion of the Southern accent at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_American_English   Mostly, I'd say is
that we properly pronounce the word "I" as a monophthong /a:/, whereas you
people say /ai/.  All other vowels are turned into diphthongs or  triphthongs.
You people like the clip clip snip snip of Protestant industry.  We like the
flowery flow of vowels with slowly sipped mint juleps.

Mike Geary
Memphis