[lit-ideas] Fanny Kemble's Pronunciation Guide

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 10:20:09 EDT

Some passages from "The Story of English"

"White English has been influenced by Black Enlgish. Whites  often resent
that. It must be confessed, to the shame of the White population of  USA that
they perpetuate many of these pronunciations in common with their Negro
dependents. There has never been any dialect like that in England. In most
places of
the USA, if one happened to be talking to a native with one's  eyes shut, it
would be impossible to say whether or Negro or a White person were  responding."

"Unfortunately, the Whites learn from the Negroes to speak  broken English,
and in spite of losing much time in UNLEARNING ungrammatical  phrases,
well-educated persons retain some of them all of their  lives."

"Whites were often unnumbered by the Black slaves.  Furthermore, all the
nursing -- as any reader of American literature knows --  was done by Blacks.
As
early as the mid-eighteenth century it was reported that,  "the better sort, in
this country, particularly, consign their children to the  care of
Negroes...""

The authors go on to quote from the Diaries of Fanny Kemble,  the English
actress who married a slave owner.

Fanny Kemble reports with great alarm that her son was  beginning to pick up
the local speech, described by her as "the thick Negro  speech of the locals."

She writes:

       "The children of  the slave owners, brought among
        them (the slaves),  acquire their Negro mode of
        talking --  slavish speech surely it is -- and it is
        distinctly  perceptible in the utterances of all
        Americans,  particularly women, whose avocations,
        taking them less  from home, are less favourable
        to their throwing  off this ignoble trick of
        pronunciation than  the varied occupation and
        the more extended  and promiscuous business
        relations of  men."

"Not all boys were sent to White schools. The reason for the  acquisition of
Black English are many. One, among children, is simply  imitation. Fanny
Kemble wrote of her four-year-old son that:

      "Apparently the Negro jargon  has commended itself
       as euphonious to his  infantile ears, and he is now
       treating me to the MOST  LUDICROUS and accurate
       imitations of it every  time he opens his mouth. OF
       COURSE I SHALL NOT ALLOW  THIS TO BECOME
A HABIT. This is the way  Americans acquire the
       thick and inelegant  pronunciation which distinguishes
       their utterances from us  in England, and I have no
       desire that my son should  adorn his mother tongue
       with either  PECULIARITY.

But then, who _was_ Fanny Kemble?

Cheers,

JL

    ps. Thanks, Stone, I changed the size to  12. Hope it helps.
J. L. Speranza, Esq.

Town:

Calle Arenales 2021, Piso 5, St. 8,
La Recoleta  C1124AAE,