[lit-ideas] Son of the Soil -- The Diaries of Beauregard Jackson Kemble

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 10:31:16 EDT

Being the memories of the son of renowned English actress, Fanny Waterhouse
Kemble.

"and I have no
desire that my son should  adorn his mother tongue
       with either  PECULIARITY."

                        Fanny Kemble.

I think Mike Geary owns a journal left by the son of Fanny  Kemble on his
demise. The manuscript -- written in a very thick accent --  recollects his
frustrations at realising what 'a prick' as he calls it, "of a  mother I haad"

I'm sure Geary can quote at length from the journal. The  spelling is quite a
wonder to consider, 'it's' for 'its' and 'axe' for 'ask' --  Especially
delightful is his recollection upon hearing his mother play Lady  Macbeth in
Boston, and how an _outsider_ he felt about the whole  experience.

Cheers,

JL