[lit-ideas] Re: The Iran Charade

  • From: Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 18:53:44 -0500

Judy: and it is true that public opinion's turning against
the Vietnam War was crucial. But military defeat and
the ending of war (and of course they are not
identical) are not to be attributed to that alone.

Eric: In the case of Vietnam, we had no real military defeat, but under pressure from massive public distaste for it, we withdrew. And South Vietnam held its borders in the conflict until we withdrew funding later, again in response to public distaste, and the North Vietnamese (Soviet) tanks came rolling in.

But rather than get sidetracked by historical revisionism of Vietnam, think of WW2 versus Iraq. Although public opinion was solidly against entry into WW2, opinion changed as we went into it. The Marines sometimes lost more troops in a day than we have lost in the entire Iraq conflict, including civilian and mercenary casualties, and yet we kept on plugging through the Pacific.

If we had the WW2 level of public support for the Iraq invasion, no one would doubt that we were winning, having suffered only a few thousand casualties. So given the limits of military power, I think national morale (in a liberal democracy) is key.