[lit-ideas] Re: The Iran Charade

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 21:29:45 EST

I read Irene as meaning that Bush ramped up public (and
Congressional/Senatorial) support for the war on Iraq by manipulating peoples'
emotions of fear
and patriotism.  He hyped the non-existent threat until  damned near the whole
country was chanting, "Get Sadaam before he gets us  again!".  America as a
whole (big brush, I know) seemed to support the war  initially not for rational
or logical reasons, (is "rational reason" redundant  or what?) but out of pure
emotion.  It's not unlikely that before his term  is up he's hell-bent on
ramping up a support for a strike in Iran by hyping  emotions similarly.
People
in general respond more quickly to  emotion than reason.

Julie Krueger
entirely possibly wrong

========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: The Iran Charade
Date: 1/18/06 8:25:29 PM Central Standard Time  From: _atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
(mailto:atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)   To: _lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
AA:
> People don't learn from  experience

surely some people do.

> and they don't think  anything through.

surely some people do.

> Emotions got us  into Iraq, now they're
> emotionalizing about Iran.

Who's the they  "emotionalizing" about Iran?  What does that even mean?  And
how  do you know that?  If you mean to argue that this administration decided

to invade Iraq for emotional reasons, I have to strongly disagree with you.
To the contrary, I'd say hard, cold, unemotional thinking about oil and
power got us into Iraq and is currently being applied to Iran.  The  people
opposed to the war are the ones emotionalizing -- or, as I perfer,
integrating their emotions into their thinking -- not the goddamn Bush
militarists.

Mike Geary
Memphis