[lit-ideas] Re: The Iran Charade

  • From: Judith Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 19:36:16 +0000 (GMT)

--- Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Andreas:  the signature of the anthrax virus
> attacks on the US Congress led to... the US
> military.
>

> Different situation. The Ames anthrax strain was
> shared by research scientists all over the world,
> so tracing the gene profile back to the Ames
> strain is meaningless.

But though nuclear material can be traced back to an
originator, it could have been
stolen/plundered/mislaid... If we are to argue that
nations should lack nuclear weapons (I do oppose them,
FYI) and also nuclear capability, the consequences of
theft etc. may well enter the argument; but to
annihilate a country whose material has been used but
not necessarily by them seems to me to be going it a
bit, even by recent standards.
(Prudential considerations aside.)

> However Iranian reactors should have their own
> unique signatures. Question in that scenario is
> whether the US, if faced with chaos of nuke attack
> in major city, will even bother to wait for
> verification or just launch spasm response.

the war on Iraq was no spasm response

Judy Evans, Cardiff