[lit-ideas] Re: Text of bin Laden Tape

  • From: Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2006 01:34:31 -0500

Mike: I am not opposed to Islamism. And I won't be until I perceive them as trying to make me follow their dictates. So far none have.

Eric: That's a perfect illustration of suburban nihilism. Or maybe it's just isolationism. Or maybe it's Mint Juleps with too little Triple Sec.

Mike: Christian fundamentalists are much more my enemy because they are trying to force their strictures on me.

Eric: How are they doing that, Mike? You have a rogue prayer fellowship following you around? Peer pressure? Strictures..ouch! Sounds painful and possibly Roman Catholic.

Mike: The Christians are in my back yard.

Eric: I wish I had a back yard sometimes, then I read about the Christians in your back yard, and think having a back yard is not worth the trouble.

Mike: The Islamists are 9000 miles away.

Eric: So that's where they are. Bet they're in somebody else's yard...and with strictures.

Mike: I understand why the Islamists are anti-Western -- they see us as threatening their whole way of life.

Eric: Yeah, secular humanism is a real bummer for theocrats.

Mike: There is no way we can go to war against the "Islamists" because they're not an entity such as a nation.

Eric: Oh don't be so negative, Mike. Catch any "this is a new kind of war" talk about four years ago?