[lit-ideas] Re: Sustained Incongruencies

  • From: Eric <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2006 16:33:49 -0400

For Eric, it sounds to me like someone setting out to write the Great
American Novel might have NPD (narcissistic personality disorder).

I was thinking of someone who is under a lot of family pressure to "get a real job" or "to pursue a worthwhile career." Family pressure can make it very difficult to be an aspiring artist, unless the parents are academics. Young aspiring artists are often reminded that their dreams are worthless, that they are unrealistic. etc.

The way they emerge from this pressure is sometimes an internalized sense of pressure: they have to produce a GREAT work of art; an ordinary work of art isn't enough of a vindication for their career choice. The internalized pressure to be great blocks them from being themselves.

Don't know if many narcissists become good fiction writers...the personality orientation would seem to work against the art. If one is stuck inside self and ego all the time, one couldn't let go enough to imagine others.