[lit-ideas] Re: Sustained Incongruencies

  • From: Eric <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2006 17:09:06 -0400

     (E.g., "I am a great
    painter who will start painting as soon as I get
    time off from my Wal-Mart clerk job.")

HEY!

Now, Eric, YOU are crossing a line!

______

The operative words there were "great" and "will start painting." Writers are writing and painters are painting, whatever else they are doing to make ends meet.

But the notion of someone who hasn't started painting, yet regards herself or himself as a "great" painter...is neurotic. In Horney terms, it's a clash between the real self (the not painting person) and the ideal self (a great painter who must work at Wal-Mart INSTEAD of painting--note the false dichotomy).

I agree that dreams are essential, but sick dreams are a form of lying to oneself. In the example above, note the responsibility for not painting has shifted from the person to Wal-Mart.