[lit-ideas] Sustained Incongruencies

ck: The more sustained incongruencies in one's personal life, the more
hypocrisy and neurosis.

Are you advocating for the Karen Horney reading in _Neurosis and Human Growth_ that the tension between the real self and the ideal self drives neurosis?

Surely that's not the same as the ability to hold contradictory views in mind and suspend judgment, the so-called "negative capability"? Rather the incongruence in neurosis have to do with self concept and forms of desire. (E.g., "I am a great painter who will start painting as soon as I get time off from my Wal-Mart clerk job.")