[lit-ideas] Re: Sustained Incongruencies

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2006 19:44:56 -0400

To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: 4/2/2006 7:13:07 PM
Subject: [lit-ideas] Re: Sustained Incongruencies

In a message dated 4/2/2006 5:37:46 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
  I shop at Wal-Mart.  If you think I shouldn't, then let me know where I
should shop.  In the meantime, I really, really, really would appreciate it if
you would stop dragging me into your posts.  I know you'll keep doing it, but I
thought I'd ask anyway.
Hi, Irene/Andy!

I'm sorry--and I DO try not to use you as either an example or to address you
-- and apologize for failing yet again!  (so, you are probably right, I'll
probably keep on doing it--perhaps you hopefully will take it as a
compliment...maybe there is a part of you which is like a part of me and so
that is who I am really addressing, right? <wry look> Please know I mean
nothing disrespectful to either you or to me!)

I don't think I'll explain my post too much as it was not really that deep of a
subject and probably not worth much more than the time it takes to write this.
So, all may feel very free to not read past this moment!

But, if you did (like I probably would ... ), all I was trying to suggest that
the person who wanted to consider himself a great painter might be or might
have been...but Walmart was sucking the creative life out of the fellow--and,
not only him, but all who had shopped there.

Andy:   Walmart is no more nor less a creativity drainer than any job.  Most
bosses will say, I don't pay you to be creative.  I pay you to do your job.  I
doubt Einstein's boss found his ideas on relativity terribly useful.  All that
MBA hogwash about thinking outside the box is just hogwash.  Think outside the
box too much and you're fired.  The old expression, where there's a will
there's a way is the bottom line.  When someone wants something, they'll find a
way to meet their goal.

Marlena:  Then, I was reminded of one of your posts (there was a fray going on
at the time) in which you stated you had been to Walmart. [It was probably an
aside but I remember the most peculiar things...] and so thought maybe
everytime there was a fray going on that maybe people had been to Walmart.

Andy:  Are you suggesting that Walmart pumps out fray gas from its vents, so
after people shop there they get belligerent?  Interesting idea.

It was, really, nothing personal--and probably should have just said that
'someone once, during a fray, stated he/she had been to Walmart'.

I'll try to do better next time!

As far as shopping elsewhere--I don't have many answers for you ... I used to
never shop there...eventually succumbed. Though I prefer to shop at Target
because at least they, a year or so ago, went through the products they sell
and made sure that they were not being made in sweatshops. Perhaps still being
paid less than pennies for the work, mind, but at least not locked in at night!
 The young man doing the work for me, though, has chosen to charge me extra by
getting the stuff at more of the small business world in order to finish my
basement, etc. It was a bit of a shocker at first but the quality is
better...(though it is the basement so in a way, who cares...?) and I had been
reminded of my values of when I was younger than I am now!

Andy:  I shop at Walmart because not shopping there isn't going to make one
iota of difference to the world or to Walmart.  I also think that even though
the products are probably produced in sweat shops, the alternative for a lot of
those people, especially the children, is sexual exploitation.   So I shop at
Walmart,.