[lit-ideas] Re: Providing a fair wine and tasting

  • From: Paul Stone <pas@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2007 17:14:13 -0500

At 01:13 PM 1/14/2007, you wrote:
Paul, my husband has this same answer whenever I bring anything 'organic' into the house. Well, language can change its mind and move on right from under you. Clearly, organic means what you're suggesting here, but it has also come to mean 'farming without fertilizers and pesticides.'

And that's silly. I'm not arguing against its new 'meaning' being, I'm just pointing out the silliness.

I don't know (and don't particularly care) whether this happened gradually from one hand to another (or one mouth to another) or whether it was a successful ad campaign.

Like most silly things, it was a successful ad campaign.

The point is it did happen.

I still reserve the right to point out its innate silliness.

Now, only a pedant would suggest that the word is somehow un-understandable in this new sense.

It's not un-understandable, it's silly. I guess I'm a pedant.

 What neoligism would you have coined?

I'm not in the business, ask John.

Having said that, I wonder how many of the 'organic' labels we can actually trust. Given that we pay a premium for 'organic,' one wonders how often one is taken for a ride.

That's so cynical of you, but correct.

Ursula
taking it out on Paul instead of Ken
(If you think 'organic' ticks him off you should see the fireworks when he accidentally purchases something 'light.'

My new favourite is "0 trans fat" which, according to the food and drug board, doesn't necessarily need to be really "0".

The word "free" has taken on a whole new [and again I point out] very SILLY meaning.

decidedly unsilly,

[insert pithy quote here]
Paul Stone
pas@xxxxxxxx