[lit-ideas] Re: Providing a fair wine and tasting

  • From: Paul Stone <pas@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 23:56:21 -0500

At 11:44 PM 1/12/2007, you wrote:
Actually, the reason you need never worry about sending a wine back is because that wine will be used as the "house wine". I agree that the $300 wine most likely wouldn't pass a taste test without the label.

Most things that are "really expensive" are NOT that good... In other words, a set of Yamaha drums that cost 4000 is NOT 5 times better than a Pearl entry set that is 800, but GOD does it sound great when you play it. A motorcycle chain that costs 100 bucks does NOT last 5 times longer than a 20 dollar version. A 200 dollar bottle of wine is really good, but it's not TWENTY times as good as a regular bottle of 10 buck "rotgut" [as mike calls it]. If I had the money to afford the yamaha drumset, I'd buy it. If I could get the expensive chain, I'd do it and if I could afford cases of 2400 dollar wine, I'd probably stock a few, but it's not really a matter of proportionate worth, it's just the cost of doing business.