[lit-ideas] Re: Providing a fair wine and tasting

  • From: Andy Amago <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2007 17:46:07 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

-----Original Message-----

A.A.  Correct.  The FDA and industry are all but blood brothers.  It's rounded
to 0, and serving sizes are smaller than what people eat.  So 2 servings of
something (and people easily can eat four) can add up to almost a gram of trans
fat.  Multiply that by many times this happens during the day, and you're in
heart attack country, especially since people aren't exactly overdoing it on
protective foods, they're sedentary, overweight, etc.  Trans fats are more
clogging than sat fat..

>The word "free" has taken on a whole new [and again I point out] very
>SILLY meaning.

A.A. Because that's the way industry wants it, with the FDA's blessing.

>decidedly unsilly,

A.A. Unsilly perhaps, but not exactly pro-consumer or pro-earth either.

From the other post:
>The word has been officially defined in the U.S.  Search USDA
>defintion organic.

Paul:  It's still stupid.

A.A. What's stupid?  You'd prefer that organic means anything anyone wants it
to mean?  You are a good Republican.  People have no idea what it is they're
opposing when they oppose regulation, standardization, definition.  Regulation,
standardization, definition means that when you buy ketchup, it has a minimum
amount of tomatoes instead of cornstarch and flavoring/coloring.  It means that
whole milk has a certain minimum of milk fat; etc. etc...  It means that you
don't have to watch you step (literally) everywhere you go because all curbs
are the same height, all step risers are the same height, foundations are a
minimum certain depth so your house doesn't fall over, etc. etc.  Imagine a
world without regulation, definition, standardization, Paul.  I suspect it's
not a world you'd prefer.  BTW, a lot of the standards are set by the U.N.
They then filter down to the U.S. government, then more local governments.
Before regulation people had to depend on people like Duncan Hines who would
write about dirty (due to no regulations) restaurants and motels and praise the
cleaner ones.  Or by products getting the Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval.
Now we have inspectors so you're pretty safe in most diners, most motels, etc.