[lit-ideas] Re: Poetry x 2 = Sabbatical

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 18:20:56 -0700

Lawrence wrote:

> I was never very fond of Merwin, and this poem doesn't cause me to change my
> mind. The ee cummings lack of punctuation doesn't help, although I don't
> recall that cummings capitalized even the first word.

E. E. Cummings capitalized lots of words, including his own name.

See

http://www.gvsu.edu/english/cummings/caps.htm

I'm peeved because I've written to this very list on this very topic before in
response to something Julie wrote about what her daughter's teacher had falsely
said about Cummings.

Merwin's lower case style is a recent phenomenon.

Robert Paul