[lit-ideas] Re: Poetry x 2 = Sabbatical

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2006 15:53:13 -0700

No, I don?t get your point yet, Mike.  What you have done is what anyone
might do with that poem [anyone of a certain sort who likes poetry].  I?ve
read the poem and have no reason to object to your interpretation (absent
your enthusiasm).  I?m not sufficiently interested in it to buy a bio of
Merwin (if a bio exists).  I don?t think what you have done represents a
difference between us.  The difference (a difference?) between us lies in
what we do with these poets we like.  Years ago I read Berryman?s 77 Dream
Songs and was impressed.  Eventually a biography was written and I bought
it.  Who knows, perhaps Berryman was doing or thinking something that could
help me write better.  Alas, the bio didn?t help in that regard, but who
knows, it might have.  You like some of Merwin?s poetry but are content with
what you get out of it.  Perhaps there is no temptation to try and write
like Merwin.  Perhaps you are so set in your ways that no other poet can
interfere with your writing style.  Perhaps there is nothing you want to
learn from Merwin.

I am a bit like that in regard to music, but I feel guilty about it.  I
especially like Eliot Fisk?s rendition of Vivaldi?s Sonata in G minor, RV.
42, and the Concerto in D Major for Lute, RV. 93.  However, I didn?t
remember that until I put the disk on my CD player.  And then I didn?t
remember what I was listening to.  And when I realized that I especially
liked it, I couldn?t remember the piece I was listening to.  I couldn?t have
written this paragraph unless I read the back of the CD case.  I function as
though I am content to like it without knowing anything about it, but I feel
guilty.  I have never read a bio of any composer, and if I did, it might be
Berlioz because I was interested in Kay Redfield Jamison?s description of
his manic-depression.  My interest would lie in his being an artist with
manic depression and not in his particular art.

But poetry is another matter.  If I am interested in a poet then I want to
pursue the matter as far as I can.  I did that with Hart Crane.  I didn?t
really like his poetry, but I liked his plan.  He wanted to write an epic
and pursued his goal.  There is a new bio of Crane. Robert posted a review
of it, and it is of mild interest.  I read a bio of him long ago, but
perhaps more has been discovered.  Perhaps the new one will be more
insightful.  Unfortunately nothing is likely to make his poetry more
interesting.  I recall it as being Whitmanesque and that same thing can be
said about Berryman?s Dream Songs; although Berryman is much more successful
than Crane.  Dream Songs has been seen as being influenced by Whitman?s
?Song of Myself.?

It has been a long while since I read Whitman but I recall his ?Song of
Myself? as being a celebration, something he gloried in singing.  One
couldn?t say that about ?Dream Songs.?   Henry gets into a lot of trouble,
but we don?t mind reading the poems because he is a good sport about it.  He
is funny and doesn?t mind being the butt of his own jokes.  Stepping back,
what is the significance of Whitman?s being delighted to sing of himself and
Berryman merely trying to make a bleary sort of sense out of himself in a
world out of control?  Is Berryman more enlightened than Whitman?  Or does
Berryman represent a degenerative process of some sort?  As a society we are
not the same as we were in Whitman?s time.  Is that a good or bad thing?
You, Mike, might be thinking I am thinking that?s a bad thing, but I?m not.
I see the progress of Liberal Democracy in the world as a good thing and
there was only one Liberal Democracy back in Whitman?s time and it wasn?t
nearly Liberal enough in our sense of the word.

So was that a more naïve time?  Only in Naïve times, someone has written,
can heroic epics be written.  We are far too sophisticated to write an Iliad
or an Odyssey.  The Romans were even too sophisticated and that is why
Virgil isn?t as good as Homer.  In fact we don?t even like heroes in or
time, at least not if we are intellectual.  They seem to be doing really
well at the box-office, i.e., comic book heroes, but the working-class must
be watching them.  We certainly woudln?t.  What we sophisticated like are
victims.  Someone needs to be a victim to be the subject of something
serious -- a nice drug problem, being haunted by the CIA or FBI, being
pursued, framed, misrepresented, hopeless, hounded, haunted, or buried
alive.   Well I have seen that, or think I have seen that, and don?t like
it.

Lawrence