[lit-ideas] Re: Poetry x 2 = Sabbatical

  • From: "Judith Evans" <judithevans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2006 12:46:37 +0100

 Combining these observations, I
> see a familiar conversational pattern:

Is that because you misread my Observation?  It's true
I didn't make my meaning clear, but how you got

>that Romantic poets, in
>particular, wanted very much, indeed, to attract attention to
>themselves and their personal stories.

escapes me.  I didn't say it, the poem doesn't say it, the
readers
who respond to it don't say it.  What the poem's saying seems to
me very clear.  What I intended to say, and tried to say in my
second
post, is that I thought it was literary criticism that "murdered
dissect".  I hope that's clear now.

As for the familiar conversational patterns it took you n years
of
anthropology to learn about,  *note* this.

>Combining these observations,

*one of which you grossly misunderstood*

> see a familiar conversational pattern: A says X, B hears Y, A
> complains that B isn't listening properly.

Actually A (JE) realised she'd given the wrong impression so
before anyone replied, sent an Oops.  B (Mike) is in a dreadful
hurry (that may be why he didn't see the Oops), didn't see
why the poem had been posted (because he hadn't seen the
Oops) and made an observation about the Romantics (q.v.)with
which I agree.  (So I posted to say that.)

That Mike is in a hurry is contained within the conversation.
Your thing about the Romantics wanting people to know about
their personal lives is not.

> B replys that what B heard
> was Y. A and B talk past each other until they come to blows.
go off
> in a huff,

(If I'm A and Mike is B) that is of course incorrect.

I recommend books/articles by people who actually analyse
this stuff (i.e. conversation); e.g. Deborah Tannen, some of
whose work is
online.  Not that I think, John, that your post is some kind
of typical example of male conversation.

Judy Evans, Cardiff