[lit-ideas] Re: Olivier Roy, Daniel Pipes and Oriana Fallaci

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2006 23:17:49 -0800 (PST)

--- Lawrence Helm <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> So quick with the ad hominem attacks that you miss
> the point, Omar.  You and
> Judy are so quick to pick Oriana Fallaci out of the
> discussion to attack,
> because she attacked Islam, that you miss the point

*You also use the right to not take some of the
authors to whom we call attention seriously, so I
plead to be granted the same right in the case of
Fallaci. Her Islamophobic message aside, I couldn't
possibly be expected to read anyone who writes in such
a gushing style.

> - the point being that
> people aren't seeing any moderate Muslims out there.

*I think some here already pointed out that "people"
who live in countries/areas with Muslim majorities or
sizable Muslim minorities do see 'moderate Muslims' -
though I have some objections to this term - out
there. (I see them in China, too.)

Re our recent discussion on moderate Islamism, I would
recommend this paper (published by Carnegie Endowment,
hardly a Marxist or Islamist orginization):

http://www.carnegieendowment.org/publications/index.cfm?fa=view&id=18095&prog=zgp&proj=zdrl,zme

Among the moderate Islamist parties in the Arab world
are said to be: Morocco?s Parti de la Justice et du
Developpement (PJD), Egypt?s Muslim Brotherhood and
Al-Wasat (Center) Party, Yemen?s Islah (Reform) Party,
Jordan?s Islamic Action Front, Kuwait?s Islamic
Constitutional Movement, and Bahrain?s al-Wefaq
[Concordance] Society. (This does not include moderate
Islamist parties in Turkey, Malaysia etc. since the
discussion focuses on the Arab countries.) These are
described as "Mainstream Islamist movements, for the
purpose of this paper, are those that have eschewed or
formally renounced violence and are pursuing their
goals through peaceful political activity." The paper
also discusses the Hamas and the Hizbollah, which have
not renounced the use of violence against external
occuppier but participate in peaceful political
process internally. It's not yet clear what happens to
the Islamist parties in Iraq, such as the Supreme
Council for the Islamic Revolution and the Al-Da`wa.
You might have some difficulty to dismiss all this as
irrelevant.

O.K.

http://mail.yahoo.com