[lit-ideas] Re: Malt, Coffee & Chuck Taylor

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2006 16:08:52 -0500

Hey, John,

Congratulations on your gene pool extension. Sure, it's been diluted with impurities, but don't fret about that -- the alternative is idiocy. You're there in that kid just as surely as you still carry the remnants of that first African Eve in you, and now perhaps you will continue on until the end of the earth, or, God be praised, should humanity escape the death of this planet, well hell, maybe then a bit of you will be around until the end of the Universe. Yes, that's universe with a capital "U", which stands for you. You go, guy.

I'm afraid I can't teach you how to transcend. I'm surprised that you, a fellow Southerner hasn't mastered the art of mental removal -- i.e., daydreaming, which is all that transcendence is, after all -- I mean, how did you survive your childhood? No one can face the reality of the South full on. Not only do oppressive racism and bigotry and dumbassness require emergency evacuation for mental health, so does the hellish heat-humidity wholeness thing -- as you well remember now that you're headed for Corpus Christi. The best I can suggest is that when the heat hits, you imagine yourself in a seraglio in Tangiers where you can't understand anything being said, but looks say it all and you know you've got the looks. Now that's Transcendence with a capital T which does not rhyme with R which stands for reality. Kiss the kid for me.

Mike Geary
Memphis

----- Original Message ----- From: "John McCreery" <john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx>