[lit-ideas] Re: Malt, Coffee & Chuck Taylor

  • From: wokshevs@xxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2006 15:37:02 -0230

Apologies for my naivete and pedantry.

I would have thought that "The coffee is hot" has no truth-value precisely
because the expression does "depend on subjective criteria" - which is to say,
no criteria or conditions at all. (At least when formulated in the abstract.)
It has no cognitive significance, as it used to be said.

However, "The coffee was much too hot" does bear cognitive significance when
claimed in a court of law by somebody who bought and was scalded by a cup of
McDonald's coffee. That statement will be found to be either true or false - as
in, "to say of what is that it is, to say of what is not that it is not.".

Walter C. Okshevsky
Memorial University