[lit-ideas] Re: Malt, Coffee & Chuck Taylor

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2006 02:42:57 -0700 (PDT)

--- wokshevs@xxxxxx wrote:

> Quoting Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>:
>

> > One question that one might put to the
> > historicists/culturalists is, do they think that
> their
> > own ideas are only valid within their own
> > geo-historical location ?
>
> You render the question as an empirical one, and,
> hence, it is without any
> philosophical interest. The interesting
> philosophical (epistemological)
> question is whether they have an epistemic right to
> believe otherwise.

*I think that most of us here are old enough and
literate enough to see that this is what I was getting
at. There is however an empirical element to the
question because I would be interested to hear what
they think about this.

> P.S. I don't think that ideas can be valid or
> invalid. Validity is logically a
> property of inference (and sometimes of bus
> transfers).

*I didn't necessarily mean logical validity, which I
understand well enough. There is a sense of "valid" as
having value or grounding.

O.K.

http://mail.yahoo.com