[lit-ideas] Re: Londonistan (part one)

  • From: Eric <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 00:03:09 -0500

Simon: ... if US policy changed to the self-defence position, and, by necessity, lead to a corresponding increase in European defence budgets, I'm not sure there would be too many complaints. .... I go back to the matter of choice. Being Top Dog is a policy decision. Change the policy and you'd lose the boasting rights, but probably make a few friends.

Eric: Americans really don't want military boasting rights. Maybe some sweaty guys in sleeveless T-shirts in Texas do, but most probably don't. I think it was Henry James who said (maybe I'm totally wrong with this attribution and it's somebody like Mussolini who said it, but no matter) that the "American disease" is wanting to be liked by everybody.

The thing Americans really like to boast about is putting the first human on the moon. That kind of achievement rings our chimes. (It's one of the things in memory that people are most proud of, I think.) Most people would rather be proud of science, arts, athletics, etc., than blowing stuff up, although when people are trying to blow you up, being able to blow them up first is a nifty skill.

As for policy decision to be top dog, that's moot. I mean, if Europeans didn't have the Kaiser, Lloyd George, and the goosestep last century, the US might easily be just a regular dog.

Simon: What matters, I believe, is the extent of the problem. Teemu's post makes the point that the extent of the problem has been exaggerated. I would agree.

Eric: If the terrorists were to stick to Semtex and recycled artillery shells, yes. But if they go into the supergerm or plutonium racket, we'll all have multum in parvo, and numbers won't be a good metric.