[lit-ideas] Re: Is Hizbollah a Resistance Organization or not?

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2006 22:38:00 -0700

Since Mike asked, I take Andreas note below to be consistent with the
Leftist/Islamist position.  Hizbollah attacked Israel but that doesn't
matter.  Only the dead matter.  If Israel defends itself it is being a
warmonger state.  This leaves Hizbollah's tactics in tact.  They shouldn't
have to pay for their adventure.  This view would, if put into effect,
prevent Israel from defending itself.  Israel is a warmongering state if it
defends itself.

Note the neutral it is "horrible" that 12 people in "Israel died in rocket
attacks" but no blame is attached to Hizbollah.  It might as well have been
a meteor that struck those 12 people.  Islamist Mullahs who sided with
America after 9/11 thought it horrible that those people died in the Trade
Center attack, but they stopped well short of assigning blame for the
deaths.

Andreas does do something you don't normally see in Leftist/Islamist
arguments.  He says there are warmongers in control in Lebanon, Syria and
Iran, but he does it in such a way that there is moral equivalence between
what the Islamists do and what Syria, Iran and Lebanon (I assume he means
Hizbollah) does.  There isn't enough here to see a developed political
theory, but anarchists blame states and not people for the evils of the
world.

Lawrence