[lit-ideas] Re: Is Hizbollah a Resistance Organization or not?

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2006 08:08:45 -0700 (PDT)

--- Andreas Ramos <andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>

> > Since Mike asked, I take Andreas note below to be
> consistent with the Leftist/Islamist
> > position.
>
> Lawrence, Leftists and Islamists have nothing in
> common. Each one comes from a long
> political and historical tradition and context.
> Neither could exist in the other's world.

*I'd say that they are two distinct and in many ways
different political traditions with largely separate
historical roots, although many Islamists from Mawdudi
onwards whave been influenced by liberalism. I don't
think they are completely irreconcilable, but to be
honest it is hard work. It is possible to find support
in Islam for human rights, women's rights, democracy,
freedom of speech and other liberal ideas. However,
left or liberal Islamism is still in the cradle. The
most prominent brand of Islamism today, i.e. Islamic
fundamentalism, has nothing in common with left
liberalism, although it may still be able to co-exist
with it peacefully.

O.K.

http://mail.yahoo.com