[lit-ideas] Re: Inner Moral :Law

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2005 04:59:03 EDT

I'm in a city of roughly 70,000 pop in mis-Missouri and I ALWAYS lock my  car
-- my husband doesn't and he and his daughter have had 3 cd players ripped
out of their vehicles as a result.  We used to have a very large black mutt
dog whom we took in because his owner, who used him for hunting (he was part
hound, part doby, I think) abandoned him.  He also probably abused  him.  The
dog was viciously protective of the property and I never had to  lock my front
door.  Once we found the furniture in the foyer upended all  over the place and
one piece drug as close to the door as possible.  We  believe someone tried
to come in in our absence and the snarling large dog  encouraged them to make
as quick a get-away as they could.  In the absence  of said dog I would NEVER
leave my house unlocked, or my car.  My husband  used to live in a town of
11,000 before we got married; sort of a modern  Mayberry.  He never locked his
house or his truck.  He's  adjusting.....and even there, now, he will lock his
office when leaving, which  always stood open.

Julie Krueger

========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: Inner Moral :Law
Date: 8/4/05 5:35:08 P.M. Central Daylight Time  From: _pas@xxxxxxxxx
(mailto:pas@xxxxxxxx)   To: _lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The segment showed Tokyo, a city  of seven million people.  There is one
place in the city where all items  found are to be turned in.  It showed
thousands
and thousands of  umbrellas.  It also featured a number of people who had lo
st their  wallets.  The norm here is that when the owner goes to retrieve it,
all  the money is there.  In one case, a fellow found almost $300,000 near a
dump. He turned it in.  One man said he had forgotten to take the keys  out of
his motorcycle three times in the several months he had lived  there.  The
motorcycle was never stolen.

One needn't go  all the way to Japan for this kind of behaviour. I NEVER lock
my car in my  driveway. NOTHING is ever stolen, the car is never stolen.
SHOULD it be? Is that  what people EXPECT? I dropped my keys once and went to
the
copshop the next  morning -- they were there. My buddy dropped his cellphone
on Friday night and  someone actually found out where he lived and returned it.
Is that actually  surprising.

paul
[insert pithy quote here]
Paul  Stone