[lit-ideas] Re: Homeland Security

  • From: Teemu Pyyluoma <teme17@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 23:46:06 -0700 (PDT)

Then again, the local health authorities over here
advice that only elderly and those with relevant
chronic diseases take the shot. It's a gamble to begin
with, flu virus is quickly mutating beast that refuses
to settle down to something that can be vacinated
against. Which may be why studies find little
difference between the effects of a vacine and plasebo
injection. And there are side-effects, one I can
personally testify to getting something that
technically speaking isn't a flue but feels just like
it the one time I took the shot, same goes for 49% of
those vacinated according to article below. As a
reasonably healthy young man I don't bother with it,
my more loveable but less robust half does take it
though.

Who's misleading who on flu shot's need,
effectiveness?

DR. COLETTE SZALAY D.C.

Peterborough Times Weekly
February 11, 2004

I recently saw a large banner above a local "big box"
store's car repair garage advertising, "Immunization
for your car...get the 'flu shot' to protect your car
against rust". The ad shows a medical doctor
menacingly holding up a large syringe.

Is it just me or is this flu shot hype getting a
little out of hand.

I know full well I will probably get an earful from
pro-vaccination boosters once this goes to print but I
can no longer hold my tongue. As I write this, the
College of Chiropractors of Ontario (CCO) is
considering not allowing its members to say anything
about vaccines since voicing concern about the
negative effects may "sway" their patients.

According to Health Canada, such information is
misleading people and jeopardizing public health.

The question I pose to the public is who is misleading
who?

First, did you know that all vaccinations in Canada
are not mandatory? Most people think that they need it
for work or that their children can't go to school
without vaccinations. This is not only untrue and
infringes on your constitutional rights but public
health officials still continue to tell patients they
or their children need to have routine vaccinations
rather than it being a choice you decide upon.

Second, how many times have you been told about the
negative effects of vaccines? Somehow this is
conveniently hidden from public knowledge unless one
knows where to find this information.

Third, who's kidding who when we are told it's a
"free" flu shot? Your tax dollars pay for the
purchasing, administering, and marketing of all
vaccines.

Chiropractors are pro-information and want to let
their patients know they have a choice regarding any
procedure done to them and that all risks should be
fully disclosed, as is already mandatory in the
chiropractic profession, and that informed consent
should be the only way health care workers can
administer such vaccines.

When you roll up your sleeves you are consenting to
the procedure but you may not have been fully informed
of all you should know.

With regard to the flu vaccine, reactions do occur
and, although experts say you can't get the flu from
the vaccine, up to 49 per cent of people experience
systemic reactions after a shot that are similar to
having the flu itself.

The flu vaccine's effectiveness is not really known.
One source stated more than $40 million health care
dollars were spent on a campaign that was only 14 per
cent effective and even that percentage is
questionable.

If the vaccine is really that effective, why are most
outbreaks occurring in seniors' residences where
supposedly everyone, including their health care
workers, is vaccinated?

The chance of getting the flu has more to do with a
person's health status rather than the absence or
presence of a vaccination yet the campaign clearly
sways the public into thinking you are "protecting you
and your loved ones" by getting this vaccine.
Statistically, you are more likely to avoid the flu if
you took nothing at all. The only way to get natural
and permanent immunity to a strain of the flu virus is
to recover naturally.

So far in Peterborough, there have been at least 12
deaths due to flu-related causes -- 11 seniors and one
child. The local health unit wouldn't disclose if
these people were vaccinated or not for
confidentiality reasons. My guess is at least all the
seniors probably were. How effective is this shot
then? Instead of vaccinating already
immune-compromised seniors in nursing homes, what
about more efforts at better nutrition and medication
alternatives, such as herbs and daily vitamin
supplements? This way, should they get the flu, they
have a much better chance of recovering naturally.
What a concept!

Recently, the New York Times (Jan. 10, 2004) reported
Dr. Lawrence Altman , the dean of American medical
writers, stated 93 children had died in the U.S. from
the flu during the winter season. Of those children,
60 had been vaccinated for the flu. He comments, "The
disease control agency (CDC) recommends a flu
vaccination for all healthy children 6 months and
older". That doesn't make sense. If two-thirds of
these children died despite having the vaccination,
why would this medical doctor advocate it? This is
neither logical nor proper science.

Further, there are potential dangers to the flu
vaccine. Dr. Hugh Fudenberg , one of the world's
leading immunogeneticists, states the chances of
getting Alzheimer disease is 10 times higher if an
individual has five consecutive shots than if they
have one, two or no shots. This is likely due to the
thimerosol (a mercury-derived preservative) and
aluminum content of the vaccine.

People need to know that vaccination in general is
still a questionable science. If vaccines were as safe
as claimed to be, why has the U.S. government's
compensation program paid out more than $2 billion
dollars to families of vaccine-injured children (if
your child dies due to a vaccine, you are
automatically paid $250,000)? Quebec has a similar
program. One can't help but surmise the strong
campaigns to push vaccines are rooted in the profit
margins of pharmaceutical giants.

As a health care provider, I have a duty to educate my
patients to the best of my ability. The word "doctor"
comes from the Latin "to teach". As a Doctor of
Chiropractic, I will never tell a patient "do this or
do not do that" with respect to vaccination because
this is clearly my opinion formulated from years of
reading and research.

Instead, I leave you with this information for the
purpose of prompting you to embark on your own further
research. Then you can make the best informed decision
for yourself and your children.
http://www.chirowatch.com/Chiro-anti-vax/Szalay/ptw040211flu-szalay.html

Gesundheit,
Teemu