[lit-ideas] Re: Homeland Security

  • From: Andy Amago <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 18:13:21 -0700 (PDT)

-----Original Message-----
From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
Sent: Oct 20, 2004 5:21 PM
To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [lit-ideas] Re: Homeland Security

Did anyone else hear the piece on NPR the other day announcing that it was
the Govt's intention to make it a misdemeanor for a Dr. to give a flu shot to
someone who is not in the high-risk group?  I only heard a fragment....I
would love the gap filled in.

Julie Krueger

This belongs on Monty Python.  Why is everybody getting so bent out of shape
over this?  This isn't the pandemic of circa 1920.  Pandemics are in fact
cyclical, but I haven't read that there's one on the way this year.

Just a question.  Earlier it was said that God would tell a woman whether to
have an abortion or not.  Would that not apply to getting the flu?  I'm
serious.  I would think believing in God would make life and death easier, but
that's not true apparently.

Way back in high school I read The Bridge Over San Luis Rey.  I don't remember
the book at all except that it asked the question, why did those particular
people die?  I doubt that Thornton Wilder had an answer, but the question is
haunting.  My answer would be because life is unfair.  Shit happens.  Is this
question applicable to this year's flu shortage?  Would it follow that if we
get the flu and die, then it's because that's our destiny?

Andy