[lit-ideas] Global Warming Hysteria

  • From: Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2008 17:54:26 -0400

The article below was in a sidebar at Drudge. It only makes sense that some real cases of "global warming hysteria" would develop. Now if someone claims you are "hysterical about global warming," you can judge their remark against a psychiatric benchmark. Surefooted, we can confidently separate the real from the rhetorical hysterics. -EY

full story at: http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,23991257-25717,00.html

Doomed to a fatal delusion over climate change
Andrew Bolt

PSYCHIATRISTS have detected the first case of "climate change delusion" - and they haven't even yet got to Kevin Rudd and his global warming guru.

Writing in the Australian and New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry, Joshua Wolf and Robert Salo of our Royal Children's Hospital say this delusion was a "previously unreported phenomenon".

"A 17-year-old man was referred to the inpatient psychiatric unit at Royal Children's Hospital Melbourne with an eight-month history of depressed mood . . . He also . . . had visions of apocalyptic events."

<snip>

"The patient had also developed the belief that, due to climate change, his own water consumption could lead within days to the deaths of millions of people through exhaustion of water supplies."