[lit-ideas] "I And My Shadow"

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2008 16:55:19 -0500

JL:
"Me ... and my shadow."

Yes, thank you, JL, for reminding all these 'individualists' that no one is
one.  We are legion.  We are all those that we've ever allowed in or which
surreptitiously entered our 'selves', took root there, set up housekeeping or
just vacationed or even if they just hang out joining in the harmony whenever
the midnight choir begins to sing.  So why not refer to the individual as
'they' and 'them' and 'their'?  It's a hell of a lot more accurate, honest and
fair and is far less male chauvinistic -- or female chauvinistic for that
matter.  Let us abolish all reference to singularity in our grammar.  Nothing
is whole and entire of itself -- Donne?? -- sounds like it.  I know I stole it
from somewhere -- oops: We know we stole it from several places.

Mikes Gearys
in Memphises