[lit-ideas] Re: Geisha (Was: Sapir/Whorf Hypothesis)

  • From: Andy Amago <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2004 20:25:26 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

-----Original Message-----
From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
Sent: Aug 22, 2004 6:03 PM
To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [lit-ideas] Geisha (Was: Sapir/Whorf Hypothesis)

In a message dated 8/20/2004 9:10:58 AM Eastern Standard Time,
aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
geisha  girls (essentially prostitutes) and salarymen (essentially johns)
fills the  misery vacuum that it creates.  Few in this country would think that

someone who can relate only to prostitutes is a happy  person

----

Interesting. Interesting that Amago qualifies this:

        "geishas are _essentially_  prostitutes".

It is my understanding that a geisha is (non-essentially, and
etymologically) _not_ (essentially) a prostitute.

Argumentation:

If a geisha were, simpliciter, a prostitute, people would use the  word
'prostitute'. There must be more to the fact that English retains the  exotic
label
("geisha")
than indicating origin.

A.A.  You might be right.  I just have a hard imagining that when one combines
men and booze and professional pleasers let's call them, that sex isn't
involved.  It still leaves the question of why these men prefer geishas to
spending time at home.  House of Sand and Fog again ...

Andy