[lit-ideas] Re: Geisha (Was: Sapir/Whorf Hypothesis)

  • From: Andy Amago <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 10:21:02 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

-----Original Message-----
From: John McCreery <mccreery@xxxxxxx>
Sent: Aug 22, 2004 11:35 PM
To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [lit-ideas] Re: Geisha (Was: Sapir/Whorf Hypothesis)

On 2004/08/23, at 12:06, Andy Amago wrote:

> A.A. As their numbers shrink, who entertains the salarymen?

There is no end of hostess bars, "soapland" massage parlors, call
girls, etc. For details see Ian Buruma, _Pink Samurai_.

A.A.  This is what I was referring to in my earlier post when I said geisha
girls.  I'm sure a lot of the "hostesses" are young girls.  I can't help but
think there's something wrong with a country where there is such an intensive
market for this.

J.M. The "water trades" as these services are called have, however, also
been facing a slumping market. Corporate restructuring, smaller
bonuses, stagnant salaries, disappearing expense accounts--all have had
a severe impact on the disposable income formerly disposed of on these
types of services.

A.A.  Poor guys.  Something tells me that there will always be money for this,
that few are in danger of going home instead and dying of boredom.

Andy Amago

John L. McCreery
The Word Works, Ltd.
55-13-202 Miyagaya, Nishi-ku