[lit-ideas] Re: Fukuyama and Danto

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 13:56:57 -0800 (PST)

On a closer look, it seems that Lawrence is right.
(for a change) I had noticed this passage:

THE NOTION of the end of history is not an original
one. Its best known propagator was Karl Marx, who
believed that the direction of historical development
was a purposeful one determined by the interplay of
material forces, and would come to an end only with
the achievement of a communist utopia that would
finally resolve all prior contradictions. But the
concept of history as a dialectical process with a
beginning, a middle, and an end was borrowed by Marx
from his great German predecessor, Georg Wilhelm
Friedrich Hegel.

But in the later discussion Fukuyama indicates that he
(at the time) reads Hegel through Kojeve rather than
through Marx. Fukyama's 1989 article "The End of
History?" is availabe online, at:
http://www.wesjones.com/eoh.htm

O.K.