[lit-ideas] Re: From today's paper

  • From: "Veronica Caley" <molleo1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 17:18:18 -0400

Thank you. As I remember, the younger Jolyn was a really good and sensitive man. Not so the father.

What always sticks in my mind and helps me understand the American electorate, even though the story is set in Britain, is the episode with the balloon vendor. He is asked by one of the wealthy characters whether he would like a society in which the government helps him economically.

He says no, because he hopes to become rich one day, but never says how. In the meanwhile, his wife is posing nude for an artist so they can eat. But the vendor doesn't know this. I found this whole episode so striking.

I wondered at the time what Karl Marx would make of it. I have thought about Marx again lately as he is the only one I can think of who predicted a lot of our present economic woes. Not all of it though. He knew nothing about modern "financial instruments". Neither did I, until lately.

Veronica
----- Original Message ----- From: "Robert Paul" <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>