[lit-ideas] Re: From today's paper

  • From: "John McCreery" <john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2008 15:18:22 +0900

On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 2:06 PM, Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >>The authoritarian aspects are the ones being used to *remove* anything
> good for the people ...
>
> Not exclusively. There are many other authoritarian aspects of our society
> that derive from manipulation of social programs designed to bring good
> results. High school kids forced to perform community service (what could be
> wrong with that?) are funneled into crony rackets as slave labor. Programs
> designed to bring more doctors to medically underserved areas are used to
> funnel medical slave labor for investors who buy and sell medical practices
> like Monopoly properties, thus ensuring the areas stay underserved.

Question 1: What, if anything, distinguishes the social programs described
here from daily life in corporations, except that the wage laborer or
salaried employee has entered into a form of voluntary servitude in an
institution where he has no voice at all in deciding who is boss is?

Question 2: What would do more to increase the freedom of the average
individual than a system that provided education, health care and a decent
retirement as basic human rights, thus weakening the force of wage slavery?
I think of friends who live in Denmark, enjoy freedom of speech, travel and
association,  and want to stay there for the sake of their children.

John

--
John McCreery
The Word Works, Ltd., Yokohama, JAPAN