[lit-ideas] Re: From today's paper

  • From: Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2008 12:52:42 -0500

I condemn social systems that impede human energy, destroy incentive, damage the human spirit, and create opportunities for criminals to exploit them for personal gain.

John lists many systems that sustain and support civilization from cradle to grave and through generations.

John: The question is not system versus freedom but how to construct systems that maximize freedom while minimizing the harm that greed, anger and obsession do. I don't believe for a moment that we can perfect human nature.

And so we meet in the middle, smile, pat each other on the back, and agree. (This middle strikes me as Aristotle's response to Plato's Republic.)