[lit-ideas] Re: Friday Poem

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2009 00:56:41 -0700

a rough response to someone's rough treatment, after tennis

like you i would quite like
to count among those who write
actually that bit i think, as any competitor does, i've almost got down
with muffed strokes which are forgivable in the coming amateur
i've loved many things you sent
and you from time to time have been extremely kind re.
things of mine so
in sum
each of us like comedians on open mike night
has died but generally we produce well when asked
we also cook
i'm
surprised on reflection we haven't shared more photos of food a la delfin
perhaps we fear that someone would discover us
and offer gold versions of julia child
atop seven eights proportion of plastic plinth
i try the wine
you in ohio, no doubt already asleep
flat out, exhausted by medicine's latest tricks
or maybe you're up with iced tea or popsicles
anyway the two of us are safe so research in our newspapers says, the evolutionary advantage of sleep being about keeping us out of sight of predators writing, however, now in the middle of the night is only a useful use of time
if you discount say wolves' views
pause
consider what all this noise is actually about
deep breath
because this is hard,
it being praise,
which comes from a scot like blood from a fountain dedicated to all romanovs who weren't hemophiliacs,
i can't tell you how good today's entry on your blog is.
actually i can.
i am amazed.
and say,
like the fellow in babe,