[lit-ideas] Re: Friday Poem

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 21:47:45 -0700

jeeves
number three cat
and mac number one and only dog
were both sitting beside one another this evening
sitting up straight outside the glass door because
that's what gets animals through

with a cat the thing is to pierce the veil with the right attitude
to give the glare plenty of welly and then maybe
see people accede to your wishes
and if not
you just turn up the meow a bit

with a dog the right move is to look up
show virginal eyes
and then to look away
to make one's innocent desires clear
and then to acknowledge that the alpha and omega of the universe
that would be me
the hand that shovels the feeds
can be slow with that magic bestowed by gods on those with opposable thumbs

patience and a good deal of lying in wait may thus be requested and required

cats
gods themselves
are not in the least bit interested in how doors come to be open
or what deanly meetings crowd other beings' schedules
they know only that some minion eventually will peform the door's opening
with less ceremony than is necessary
so meanwhile
they busy themselves licking their parts
and flicking through their rolodexes

border collies on the other hand
with brains programatically locked on the next instruction
minutes after going out
wonder why the separation is so long

all of these observations are
as it were
oblique to my current worries
which concern the mercedes i thought I ought to buy my daughter
(http://luxeauto.com/inventory_detail.cfm?InvId=441)

she is headed to l.a.
cosby's son's death
and animal passages across thresholds