[lit-ideas] Re: First Rational Discourse creates al Qaeda, now... battle PhDs?

  • From: wokshevs@xxxxxx
  • To: donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2008 17:10:40 -0230

I thank Donal for the good cheer. Thus far, I am thoroughly enjoying myself and
even the weather is cooperating. 82 degrees yesterday out on my deck.

I think that facts only exist in the logical space of reasons; they themselves
have neither physical location nor temporal position. (You can't "lose truth"
or wonder "where did I put that fact?" or have statements "correspond" to
facts.)

Although the expressions of a fact within linguistic utterances certainly
possess spatio-temporal dimensions (in worlds 1 and 2, in your lexicon of
choice.)

The fact that I have 30 days vacation each year can easily be corroborated. But
for me to *prove* to you that this is a fact would require extensive
documentation. Perhaps that paper trail would prove to be endless: sooner or
later you'd have to trust such other facts as 1) that I have been at the
university for over 10 years, 2) that the Collective Agreement I show you is
genuine, 3) that I really am Walter Okshevsky, etc..

Walter O
MUNLESS