[lit-ideas] Dr. Feelgood and the Interns

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2004 21:45:38 EDT

Correction.

I wrote that Geary said that Aretha Franklin was known as "The Negro
Problem". This is not true. What Geary was referring to was to a different
song,  by
a different group (or performer).
As you may remember, Geary wrote,  patronisingly, in reply to M. Chase's
plead for ignorance:

>>>At least not in any Dr. Feelgood way.
>>M.C. I don't  know what you mean by [that].
>Yeah, you have to be familiar with  ...
>The Negro Problem.  It's
>one of the songs.  Pretty  esoteric reference.
>Shouldn't have used it, but I like pulling
>cheap shots like that.

I append below the lyrics -- the refrain goes, "_She_'s really daddy
feelgood" -- a different sort of innuendo from Aretha Franklin's subtlety (and
rhyme
"pills" with "ills".

Note that the Negro Problem's version makes no mention to the fact that she
is _doctor_ feelgood, but "daddy feelgood" rather. Maybe it's about time to
_mailto:oed3@xxxxxxxxxx (mailto:oed3@xxxxxxxxx)  about this use,  too.

Cheers,

JL

SHE'S REALLY DADDY FEELGOOD

Verse

The lady of the manor
Requested you for dinner
Then set upon  her plate
Scream jockey's on a winner
While peeling warm bananas
And shining up her gate
The model with the  paddle
Disarmed you with a riddle

And bade you come again
One seated in the middle
Good riddance to the  saddle
Up to your neck in gin

REFRAIN

Everybody knows that
She's really daddy feelgood
Yeah Yeah
Everybody knows that
She's really daddy feelgood
Yeah Yeah
A a a a ah (yeah)
A a a a ah

It was sent home to the  projects
To polish up your pretext

Email sent by the demon
Who dig being your rejects
Your shiny black  art objects
Spray hieroglyphs of s*men
Dear Mrs. Oorter's  daughter
Succumbed to my dark order
I burned her at my stake
And spray  my holy w*ter
Across her burning border
Called it the Northridge  Quake
mmm and then I did it

Everybody knows that
She's really daddy feelgood
Yeah Yeah
Everybody knows that
She's really daddy feelgood
Yeah Yeah
A a a a ah (yeah)
A a a a ah

A patio of  witches
Synchronized their bodywatches
While dancing round the  queue
The studs adjust their notches

But i prefer the bitches
With sundials made of you
A swampy fertile  playground
I think i've got the lowdown

On Mrs. Porter's girl
See I'm just her stack of cards to blow down
A  toy she can spin round and round
Just watch me as i twirl
Can you dig  it?

Everybody knows that she's really daddy feelgood  Yeah
Yeah
Everybody knows that she's really daddy feelgood  Yeah
Yeah
A a a a ah (yeah)
A a a a ah

Remarked the frigid  countess