[lit-ideas] Re: Dr. Feelgood and the Interns

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2004 18:43:39 EDT

Correction.

I wrote:

>it seems Geary was thinking of ... William Perryman,
>not Jeremy Bentham.

Rather, from Geary's

>you have to be familiar with a group called
>The Negro Problem. It's from one of their songs.

-- it looks like he was indeed having the "A. Franklin and T. White" 1967
hit song reference in mind -- not connected apparently (other than via lexical
identity) with the Perryman 1962 one, as the OED notes:

     the term ["Dr. Feelgood"] seems to have
been first used as a simple self-designation
     (without any of the later negative connotations)
     by the blues pianist â??Piano Redâ?? (William
     Perryman) who broadcast, and subsequently
     recorded, under this sobriquet.

But, as the OED adds:

     *the words of the 1967 hit song which popularized  the phrase
     do, however, suggest awareness of the sense
     described [above].*
"Don't send  me no   doctor
Filling  me up with all those  pills
Got  a man named Dr.  Feelgood
That  man takes care of all of my pains and my ills."

-- and I don't think A. Franklin and T. White _meant_ Perryman.

-- An interesting case for lexicological analysis. While Perryman's use  (as
a self-sobriquet) was idiosyncratic (and ultra-creative), it's only via a
_hit_ song that can a word get into the (non-idiosyncratic) mainstream
_lexicon_

I wonder if A. Franklin is Aretha Franklin?

(The info comes from a 1997 addition to the OED. And I would guess that
while the 1967 was first identified (with lyricists), it was only _later_ that
someone traced the Perryman earlier use of "Dr. Feelgood".)

Cheers,

JL