[lit-ideas] Re: Do ideas exist before being articulated?

  • From: "Andreas Ramos" <andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 08:54:58 -0700

John -- if you didn't have a word for "red" would you still see the colour of an apple, a tomato, blood? Or, because you didn't have the word for it,
would your brain simply stop processing data?

There are a few tribes that don't have names for colors. They distinguish colors in two groups: bright or dark. Red is dark. Green is dark. To them, red and green are the same "color", or better said, they are both dark.

So they don't "have a word" for the color red and don't see red. They see dark.

This isn't an odd idea. It happens in our world all the time.

If I show (for example, Julie) a long page of computer code, she only sees random characters (many of which are misspelled), lots of "<" and ">", and so on. Her brain sees alphabetical characters, but not the meaning. To me, I see the structure of the code and what it does. Julie doesn't have "a word for it" (actually, she probably does have a word for it, but it's not a polite word) and "can't see" it.

yrs,
andreas
www.andreas.com