[lit-ideas] Do ideas exist before being articulated?

  • From: "John McCreery" <john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 11:48:53 +0900

Pondering the conversation about what goes on before we speak, I note
that two possibilities are in play.

1. Classical--We possess ideas of which we are partly or wholly
unaware until they are spoken. Cf. Plato, Leibniz (rebutting Locke),
Chomsky, Freud.

2. Modern--Ideas only emerge as we speak them. What goes on inside us
is a confluence of pre-linguistic processes that crystallize at the
moment we speak. Cf. Vico, Minsky,Klein a good deal of current
research in such fields as psychology and political science that
indicates that processes conventionally described as "emotional"
proceed those described as "rational," which turn out, more often than
not, to be after the fact rationalizations of decisions already made.

John

--
John McCreery
The Word Works, Ltd., Yokohama, JAPAN