[lit-ideas] Parrotting On

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2007 22:48:36 EDT

Geary says he's a parrot, and that I should stick to 5 posts a day. I'll
try. Indeed it's a good training to see if one can concentrate the material in
just 5 posts to deliver at the 'end of the day' (literally).

One thing that the '5 posts a day' constraint poses is that one is  inhibited
of the freshness of replying "on the spot" to what somebody has  said.

One case in point is Andreas Ramos. He calls my books "dusty" and  refers to
an online research by a Professor Wanker, on South-American parrots  which
call their 'chicks' by 'proper' names. I was interested even when I read  that
the research was precedented (?) by similar one on dolphins, etc.

But back to the Parrot of Locke, I got access to the online version of the
Essay and see that Locke is merely (?) concerned with an definitional  point.

He is testing the scholastic assumption:

              "Man" (Homo) =df  "Rational Animal" (Animal Rationalis)

What, he says, if we trust Prince Maurice (of the Netherlands) who swears
Locke he has held a rational conversation with an old Parrot brought to him
from
 Brazil, and with which he conducted a conversation 'in Brazilian'.

Locke wants us to say that while we may come to believe that that Parrot is
another "Rational Animal", yet we wouldn't like to call the Parrot a "Man".

Therefore, "Man" is eventually disassociated of the idea of 'rational
animal', and such is ascribed to 'Person', rather. That is precisely the point
of
Grice in his rewrite of Locke. Rationality, which ascribes _accidentally_ to
men (for there are mad men) ascribes _essentially_ to _persons_.

But parrots are now part of the mythology. Cfr.

 1965  Austral. Women's Weekly 20 Jan. 48/1 ‘I'll wait,’ he said. ‘He'll
wait,’ she parroted.

and the  earlier

1671 _E.  HOWARD_
(http://0-dictionary.oed.com.csulib.ctstateu.edu/help/bib/oed2-h4.html#e-howard)
  Six Days Adventure I. 8 Soly: You  may be Taken notice
on for a Patriot of your countrey. Merid: A Parrot rather, for in my sence  he
talks by roat.

After calling Locke a 'stupid  idiot', Geary feels he has refuted him.

1912 _‘R.  ANDOM’_
(http://0-dictionary.oed.com.csulib.ctstateu.edu/help/bib/oed2-a2.html#r-andom)
  Neighbours of Mine 194 Go and  get me some breakfast
and don't stand there parroting about the kind of drunk  you prefer.

Geary writes:

>How does Locke know what parrots are thinking.  I'd say a parrot  is
>thinking:
>
>       "If I say, 'Polly wants a  cracker'
>        this stupid idiot  will give me one"

-- which is a conditional thought, no doubt about it.

Cfr.

1872 _F.  HALL_
(http://0-dictionary.oed.com.csulib.ctstateu.edu/help/bib/oed2-h.html#f-hall)
Rec. Exempl. False Philol. 31  The verb experience is, to
Mr. White, parroting Dean  Alford, altogether objectionable.

Well, Locke is slightly subtler,  and for those interested in the founder of
the John Locke Lectures at Oxford  (Grice gave the 1977 ones), here is the
relevant passage from the "Essay" of  1690

_http://etext.library.adelaide.edu.au/l/locke/john/l81u/B2.27.html_
(http://etext.library.adelaide.edu.au/l/locke/john/l81u/B2.27.html)

"An animal (such as a man, or a  parrot) is a living organized body;
and consequently the same animal is  the same continued life
communicated to different particles  of matter. And whatever is
talked of other definitions,  ingenious observation puts it past doubt,
that *the idea in our minds*, of  which the sound, 'Man' in *our mouths*
is the sign, is nothing else but of  an '[Rational] Animal' of such
a certain form. Since I think I may  be confident, that, whoever
should see a creature of his own  shape or make, though it had
no more reason all its life than *a  parrot*, would call
him still a 'Man'; or whoever  should hear a parrot *discourse, reason,
and philosophize*, would call or  think it nothing but a 'Parrot'; and say,
the one was a dull irrational  'Man,' and the other "A very intelligent
rational
Parrot". A relation we have in an  author of great note, is sufficient
to countenance the supposition of a  rational parrot.

The anecdote about the Brazilian  parrot comes later on:

"of an old parrot he had in Brazil,  during his government there, that spoke,
and asked, and answered common  questions, like a reasonable creature: so
that those of his train there  generally concluded it to be witchery or
possession; and one of his chaplains,  who lived long afterwards in Holland,
would
never from that time endure a  parrot, but said they all had a devil in them."

Locke goes on to report the  conversation between Prince Maurice and the
Parrot from Brazil. Locke  explains:  "[The parrot spoke] in Brazilian. I asked
the Prince  if he understood Brazilian; he said No, but he had taken care to
have two  interpreters by him, the one a Dutchman that spoke Brazilian, and the
other a  Brazilian that spoke Dutch". The dialogue went as follows:

Prince Maurice, "D’ou  venez-vous?"

Parrot, "De Marinnan"

Prince Maurice, "A qui estes-vous?"

Parrot, "A un Portugais"

Prince Maurice, "Que fais-tu  la?"

Parrot, "Je garde les poulles"

Prince Maurice, "Vous gardez les  poulles?"

Parrot, "Oui, moi; et je scai bien  faire"

Locke wonders:

"I ask any one else who thinks such  a story fit to be told, whether, if this
parrot had talked, as we have a  prince’s word for it whether they would not
have passed for a race of rational  animals; but yet, whether, for all that,
they would have been allowed to be  "Men", and not "Parrots"? For I presume it
is not the idea of a thinking or  rational being alone that makes the idea of
a 'Man' in most people’s sense: but  of a body, so and so shaped, joined to
it: and if that be the idea of a 'Man,'  the same successive body not shifted
all at once, must, as well as the same  immaterial spirit, go to the making of
the same man

A good reference here is
Moulder, J. "Locke's Parrot",  Philosophy
(1973):http://links.jstor.org/sici?sici=0031-8191(197304)48%3A184%3C183%3AFSALP%3E2.0.CO%3B2-F

which relies on

Flew, A. G. N. "Locke and the  problem of personal identity" (Philosophy,
1951).

Another reference is more  recent

Walmsey, P. "Prince Maurice's  Rational Parrot", Eighteenth Century Studies

and there's also the (unchecked):

_The  Parrot's Voice: Language and the Self in Robinson Crusoe_
(http://0-www.jstor.org.csulib.ctstateu.edu/view/00132586/dm991257/99p02975/0?currentResult=
00132586+dm991257+99p02975+0,171E02&searchUrl=http://www.jstor.org/search/Basi
cResults?hp=25&si=1&gw=jtx&jtxsi=1&jcpsi=1&artsi=1&Query=Locke+Parrot&wc=on)

_Eric  Jager_ (http://0-www.jst
or.org.csulib.ctstateu.edu/search/BasicResults?Search=Search&Query=aa:"Eric
Jager"&hp=25&si=1&wc=on)
_Eighteenth-Century  Studies_
(http://0-www.jstor.org.csulib.ctstateu.edu/browse/00132586)  > _Vol.  21, No.
3_
(http://0-www.jstor.org.csulib.ctstateu.edu/browse/00132586/dm991257)  (Spring,
1988),

     _I  Am a Parrot (Red)_
(http://0-www.jstor.org.csulib.ctstateu.edu/view/00182710/ap030033/03a00040/0?currentResult=00182710+ap030033+03a00040+0,7F5777&;
searchUrl=http://www.jstor.org/search/BasicResults?hp=25&si=1&gw=jtx&jtxsi=1&j
cpsi=1&artsi=1&Query=Locke+Parrot&wc=on)
_Jonathan  Z. Smith_
(http://0-www.jstor.org.csulib.ctstateu.edu/search/BasicResults?Search=Search&Query=aa:"Jonathan
 Z. Smith"&hp=25&si=1&wc=on)
_History  of Religions_
(http://0-www.jstor.org.csulib.ctstateu.edu/browse/00182710)  > _Vol.  11, No.
4_
(http://0-www.jstor.org.csulib.ctstateu.edu/browse/00182710/ap030033)  (May,
1972),

Incidentally this overlaps with our discussion on 'training'. The OED has

"parrot  teacher"
n.  a person  who trains parrots to speak

and gives a rather recent  quote:

2002  Independent (Nexis) 31 Aug. 10  Although in ancient Rome it was often
the responsibility of the  household slave to teach the parrot to talk,
professional parrot teachers offered a service  too.

Other interesting quotes seem to be:

1806 _T.  HOLCROFT_
(http://0-dictionary.oed.com.csulib.ctstateu.edu/help/bib/oed2-h3.html#t-holcroft)
  Vindictive Man II. i. 13 It was  you that parroted
my daughter to plead for Maitland. 1827  _C.  LAMB_
(http://0-dictionary.oed.com.csulib.ctstateu.edu/help/bib/oed2-l.html#c-lamb)
Let. 4 Oct. (1935) III.
137 We  are parroted into delicacy. 1890  Sat. Rev. 15 Feb. 196/2 The rank  and
file are tutored and parroted by author, by manager, or by state-manager.

From Andreas' link we read:

"The small South American parrots also apparently have name calls for their
mates. The birds very definitely use a particular call exclusively with a
particular bird and never for any other bird,' says Dr. Rolf Wanker, head of
the
Hamburg University Zoological Institute's behavioural research laboratory.
Wanker and his team..."
I'm sure R. Paul may provide the Latin for the Parrot Prof. Wanker is
referring to. I know it's the order of Pscitaciformes, but I'm not too good at
describing the genus and species of the different types of parrots. (I'll
probably will when I get hold of this book I plan to order on Edward Lear's
"parrots" for my postcard collection). (Yes, I collect postcards, which I
receive at
the Hall below).

And the parrot, with a smile, said a soft, "Good night, and may your dreams
be sweet".

Cheers,

JL

J. L.  Speranza, Esq.