[lit-ideas] Re: Wittgenstein's "Lateinisch" (or Lack of It)

  • From: "Judith Evans" <judithevans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 17:57:30 +0100

I don't know how much Latin Wittgenstein knew, how long he studied it,
how he was taught.  For what it's worth

>one could not think a sentence with the remarkable
>word order of German or Latin just as it stands

must be a fairly common reaction; certainly that's how
I felt when I was taught it first.  I say 'first' not
only because my first teacher wasn't much good, but also because
English speakers tend to be pushed into putting the verb at
the end in Latin, to instill in them the most common classical
Latin prose style. (I didn't react in the same way to German, probably
because I'd already studied Latin for a few years.)

>"Latin has a very flexible word order"

word order is not though unimportant, words can't -- pace wikipedia -- be drawn
from
a lucky dip.  Declension's important, but word order is too,  (Probably --
again --
English speakers have to be told about declension and its importance, and
perhaps, after the very early stages (of being pushed to put the verb at the
end),
are encouraged to think it, not word order,  important,

Judy Evans, Cardiff