[lit-ideas] Train Your Character: The Olshewsky 3-Step Method (AUTONOMY guaranteed)

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 13:08:41 EDT

Walter O. has (or had) a Volvo.

I was just quoting his dialogue with Mikhail Gearison (in the  archives):

GEARY: Do you believe in autonomous human  beings?
OLSHEWSKY: As a character disposition, yes.
GEARY: You go over my head. I am trained as a musician.

------

>would wager my Volvo that I have never in my entire life ever stated  or
>believed that "a human being is a character disposition."

But then, aren't you saying,

               "I believe in _autonomous human beings_ where _autonomy_ is
understood _only_ as  a 'character disposition' of the aforementioned human
being.

SPERANZA: So you are saying that some human beings are autonomous and  some
other human beings are _not_ autonomous. And that what makes a human being
_worth_ being a human being -- her autonomy -- is something that just
_accidentally supervenes_ on her. And you are also saying that what makes a
human being
a human being _is_ a disposition, not of the human being, but of the
_character_ of the human being. So you are saying that a human being can lack
autonomy, yet have a _character_ (I disagree there), which is or is not
_disposed_
to deliver autonomous acts. All very confusing, if you ask me. I just  think
it all sums up to your idea that what really matter is the fickle  disposition
of _some_ human beings (those whose character is disposed to allow  them to be
autonomous). I never heard anything so sacrilegous in the whole story  of
Western (and Middle Eastern) philosophy (before).

Cheers,

JL

JL