[lit-ideas] Re: Death of a Thinker

  • From: Robert.Paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Robert Paul)
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 14 Feb 2005 14:03:36 PST

I don't know, Andreas. Death of a Salesman may or may not be an accurate
depiction of 'business,' but what's inherently improbable about it? A
'travelling salesman' of that time, or of the time just before the play was
written could surely lose customers, lose his way, get burned out, but have no
other way to think of himself, no way other than as a salesman: his death comes
before the actual death. Do/did companies treat their salesmen that way? Does
the Ayatollah have a beard?

I've known many George Follanbee Babbitts; I grew up in Zenith, Ohio. Seemed
perfectly true-to-life in 1949, around the time I escaped from there.

Robert Paul
Reed College